Friday, October 10, 2008

Season's Turning


I took the Kayak out fishing on the Tualatin River a couple days ago. Nothing new about that, but it made me realize that whether I like it or not, Summer is over in our region. Recent rains have created a small but noticeable current in the normally lake-like stretch I frequent. I slowly swirled down the river like the handful of golden leaves that dotted the surface. As I cast a woolly bugger or panfish popper back under the willows and around the sunken snags, I noticed that the whole tree line had taken on an autumn glow in the long evening light. Instead of feeling comforting, my damp pant cuffs were a little chilly... Summer is over.

There are a lot of things I love about Fall, but it is always a little wistful when it comes time to put away the boat for another season. While I'm not totally ready to wrap it up yet, it is time to start getting ready.

How about you?


  • Is the boat cover in shape for winter?

  • If you're in a temperate area like Oregon's Willamette Valley or the coastal regions of the Northwest an air dryer like the DryWave can help keep your boat mold free until next Spring.

  • If you plan to keep the boat running past the first frost, you might want to consider an engine compartment heater.

  • Friends in colder climes may also want to make sure that their Ice Eater is in good working order so they can be certain the dock will still be there next Spring.

I figure I'll still be able to pick up a few nice days in the coming weeks, but winter is in the back of my mind.


Loren

No comments: